- By Allison Winchester
- 0 Comments
- SawBlade Articles
Cold Saw Blade Coolant
Did you know that a cold saw blade coolant is primarily used to increase tool life and provide an excellent surface finish? Let’s take a step back though and take a look at what cold saw blade is.
A cold saw blade is a circular blade to cut metal. The name originated from how the heat is transferred back into the blade, and not the object being cut. When cut, the metal is cold, unlike other saws which heat the blade.
What is a Coolant for Cold Saw Blades?
A soluble coolant is a huge part of the cutting process and should always be used. Contrary to belief, it isn’t what actually keeps the blade cool. However, as mentioned above, it does increase the life of the blade because it helps keep the teeth sharp. It is also essential for protecting the machine and blade from corrosion.
Benefits of Coolant
There are many benefits of using a coolant for your cold saw blade, including:
- Improves the integrity of the cutting service;
- Prolongs the life of the blade;
- Lubricates between the cutting blade and the metal piece;
- Prevents corrosion;
- Removes chips from the surface of the cutting area; and
- Eliminates thermal stress.
At Saw Blade we often get asked questions about our products and services, so we have answered some of these for you.
1. Is it essential that I use a coolant for my cold saw machine and blades?
Although some people think they can get away with not using it, a coolant must be used for your machine, significantly when cutting thicker materials as the blade will not last.
2. Do Sawblade.com.au sell coolant?
Yes, indeed, we do. Follow this link for our range. Each has thorough information, however, if you are still unsure, reach out to our team for further assistance.
3. How long will it take these items to reach me?
At Saw Blade, we offer a quick 24-hour turnaround. Your delivery should arrive within one day if you live in Victoria, between 2 to 3 days for most other states other than WA and NT, which can take up to 5 days.
Looking After Your Cold Saw Blades With Coolant
It’s important to remember that when it comes to looking after your cold saw blades, coolant is essential. It’s been developed for use on a variety of machines and is carefully formulated to increase the life of the coolant sump.
5 Easy Steps to Build Your Own Sawblade
2. Great job, now select the Width
3. Select the Length (mm) (Round up to the Closest Increment)(Round up to the Closest Increment)
3. Now Enter the Exact Length in (mm) (Made to your Order)
4. Select the TPI (Teeth Per Inch)
5. Select the Quantity of Blades
Order Your Blade